BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TODAY’S SOCIETY THAT FOCUSSED ON SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT?





Hey, this is me Nur Ferinie. Books?.. love them so much as it helps to open -up my mind like an atlas..haha..o.k la..then it’s enough..Now it is my pleasure to talk here more about this issue..it is just about  "Today’s society that focuses on success and achievement?”…


I remember the Red Queen in Lewis Caroll ’s book Alice In Wonderland who takes Alice by the hand and urges her to go faster and faster. Today, it seems adults similarly order us to hurry: to go faster and faster and rush into the adulthood.


Indeed , we lack the pleasure and the time to be teenagers: or parents and teachers often remind us that we should no longer not look at the world trough a child’s eyes, because the world is full of adult challenges.


We are expected to excel in studies  , to be eloquent public speakers and to “enrich” our lives today  with art and music lessons, computer classes and whatever courses parents can find for us.


We are repeatedly told:”If you don’t get the high marks, you’ll never get into the best class; you’ll also never  get into the university; you’ll not get a job; etc.”


We must be successful : nothing else counts. Of course there is talk of integrity, compassion and understanding , but eventually all that counts being the most successful with the highest achievements.


I am afraid growing up in such a society. From the time I entered school , I have been under pressure to do well so I could get into the classes , to be first in my form , to achieve the number of distinctions possible .


And I know this is pressure to excel will intestify  as I continue my studies.
Very soon  , I will be an adult without knowing what being young  and carefree was really like. The sad thing is I am not the only one in this boat. Many of my friends have the same trapped feeling where our parents expect us to perform well all the same time with no reprieve or gap year or whatsoever.



This hothouse atmosphere is not the kind of society I would really like to live in. I would rather live n a society where the society where there is not so much pressure to perform brilliantly in everything we do. Please let us savour  this precious time of growing up without Red Queen urging us to rush headlong into adulthood. Nowadays , that is the fact. So I just can say “yes” although I am not really comfortable with it..d a a~~
                                                                                                                                             



0 comments: